I like to make electronics and write software to meet immediate “needs” as well as to have some fun (okay, mostly for fun). Here are some of the projects I have made:
A toy remote control car upgraded with hobby RC components and other junk from my collection. I got it without the transmitter when I was a kid and saved it for a rainy day. Almost 2 decades later I picked it back up.
An ESP8266-based web server that hosts an offline guestbook from an SD card. This was an experiment to create interactive web application on an embedded system with minimal “server-side” data processing.
A 1940’s Philco radio converted into a retrofuturistic internet media streamer. The damaged condition of the radio inspired a Fallout themed project.
A simple shell script that converts animated GIF files into bootanimation.zip files that are compatible with Android. I wrote this to convert GIFs from GifCities into boot animations for my phone.
A replacement shutdown script for Retroflag’s Raspberry Pi cases. The original scripts by Retroflag have a messy installer and lack customization options so I wrote my own version.
A power strip controllable via DTMF commands issued using a handheld radio. My original goal was to provide a way to reset network equipment while away from home.
Experiments with the very affordable WLN KD-C1 UHF handheld radio. Less of a coherent project and more of a place to collect my misadventures with these units.
A data storage format that is intended to be reliable when used on aging cassette tape hardware. This is mostly for fun, but somewhat research on data storage techniques.
An experiment to store visual art with audio on cassette tape by using amateur radio SSTV signals. Quite impractical, but it made for a nice gift to a friend who shares an interest in tape.
A printable in-browser template for creating cassette tape J-Cards. I created the template for a personal project, but ended up releasing it after finding several thriving online cassette communities.
A command line utility for uploading static site files to an S3 bucket. I created this simple utility after encountering issues with mimetype detection and costly ($) API calls in the official AWS tools.